Last year I ran a seed exchange. I loved doing it. I got to sort through seeds all day at work (: It was like a massive jigsaw puzzle trying to fit people’s’ wish lists in with what was sent in. I think that it worked out fantastically well. The swap was so much fun to do last year, I decided to give it another go – This swap is for any kind of seed. Vegetable, herb, flower, fruit… All Canadians are welcome!
(Partially paraphrased from Heather MacDonald’s annual pepper/tomato swap guidelines – with her permission)…
GUIDELINES FOR THE SWAP:
Let me know if you are interested in participating in the comments area I will email my address to you.
Or you could post in any one of the threads below:
I use my business address & the postman brings the mail straight to me – this eliminates any problems with seeds sitting outside in a cold mailbox! If you don’t get a private message from me in a day or two, let me know… I will try to check the thread daily. Seeds are due in on November 23rd, so please put your seeds in the mail on or before November 12th to ensure that it reaches me on time. Of course, you can send your envelope earlier.
1. You can send in up to 40 seed packs. If you are sending in extra seeds as a bonus please mark them clearly as a bonus. If you send in 40 packages, you will get 40 packages back. If you send in 5 packages you will get 5 back. Bonuses will be divided between everyone, so you should end up with more than you send in.
2. You can send NAMED VARIETIES of any open pollinated seed. Please mark the seed package with the type of seed (annual or perennial flower, herb, vegetable, etc.) & the cultivar name. If you know – mark whether they are heirloom or OP, or hybrid. If seeds are from a commercial source, please note that as well. Basically put as much info as you can on the packet. If there is anything that are unsure of, just ask! Do not include mixes or mystery seeds unless they are clearly marked as bonus seed. It isn`t fair to send mystery seed to people who followed the instructions & sent in named varieties. Unknown varieties will be sent back to you, unless marked as bonuses.
If you are sending in hybrid seed to exchange, only F1 seed from a commercial source is acceptable. Please mark the source on the package. Do not send in seeds you have collected from a hybrid plant. They will not grow true to the original parent plant. If you are unsure if the seed you have collected is from a hybrid, please research online before mailing in your seeds or send me a message and I will try to find out.
Seed doesn`t need to be collected from bagged or separated varieties – accidental crosses occasionally happen. When you grow out the seeds that you receive please try not to be upset if an occasional plant isn`t true. Sometimes crosses are better than the original … That being said, please don`t send in seed that you know is crossed & will not grow true.
3. Please include a list of the seeds that you are sending in. Also include a wish list or preferences and if there are any seeds you do not want to receive. If you are only interested in heirloom or OP, please tell me. I will try my best to accommodate your wish list, but there are no guarantees. The returned seeds will be completely dependent on what is sent in. The easiest wishlists to fill include some specifics, but also some general wishes. Don’t be shy. It is easier, if your wishlist has 100 things on it! (: If you wish to email your wishlist earlier, please feel free. If you have something on your wishlist & get it from another source, or find something that you wish to add to your list at any time before I send back your envelope, just let me know.
4. Please mail your seeds inside of a bubble envelope with your return address label inside. It is important that you send a regular bubble envelope & not the heavy cardboard insulated type to keep within the weight restriction. Please send $2.10 return postage. I will reuse your original bubble envelope to send your surprise seeds back to you. If you go to Canada Post to mail your envelope & they try to charge you more, be sure to tell them that is non-standard lettermail.
The weight categories are:
$1.29 up to 100 grams
$2.10 100-200 grams
$2.95 200-300 grams
5. Please include both your real name (for mailing) and your screen name – so that I know who has sent in their seeds!
WHAT TO SEND:
Inside your bubble wrap envelope you should have;
1. Whatever seed you are contributing to the swap
2. A list of whatever seed you have put in your envelope
3. Stamps totalling $2.10 (you will need another $2.10 in stamps to send your seeds to me)
4. An address label with your address on it.
5. A wish list or list of preferences or do not want list (:
6. Include your name & screen name!
If you have any questions or suggestions, please let me know. Happy trading !!!!